Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Update

Bill went in for surgery at 4:45. I will try my best to keep updating. His surgery is expected to last between 3-5 hours.

He is out of surgery and in recovery right now. There was so much said, I will try to give the information to the best of my ability. About 5:15 the surgeon came into the waiting area to speak with us. He was successfully able to remove the lymphnoid but he could not find the spot in the liver. He was waiting for an ultra sound to see if they could detect the spot. He came back a little while later saying even with the ultra sound they could not find the spot. When he is recovered and feeling better another ultra sound will be done to see if can be detected. If so, there is an out patient procedure that will be done to the spot. If not spot is found,then they will closely watch to see. There is a chance that the cancer can come back. Right now his chances of survival is 30-35%. The longer he goes cancer free the higher is chances will be. He was out of surgery at 6:30.

He just left the recovery room and is being transferred to his room right now. He will not have to be in the ICU as previously planned. When I was him in the recovery room he was in a lot of discomfort and they were trying to control the pain. He was thirsty and hungry. He told me he wanted spaghetti. He looks like he feels better now . He was waving to me as he passed the waiting area. Before the surgery an epidural was done to help manage the pain. He will have the epidural in for a couple of days. I am in the room with him now. He is watching the Cubs. He is very thistry but can not have any thing. Not even ice chips, poor guy.

If anything changes I will try to keep you posted. Thanks for the prayers.

5 comments:

  1. That's great to hear! Bill-1, Cancer-0! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's an amazing trooper that husband of yours!

    I'm very happy to hear such good news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear everything went well! Strange they couldn't find the liver spot- maybe that is a good sign?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally, tell Bill I'm ready for a party! I am still so excited about yesterday. That is the best news. I don't think it could have gone any better. I'll try to come up tomorrow to see him. Let me know if he wants me to bring him anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bill...get home QUICK! the cubs need you! these walk-off singles in extra innings are getting old!

    soooooooo the cubs will be back home tomorrow...
    when will YOU be back home?

    just so happy to hear that all went as well as it did and the next thing that i know i'm looking forward to is hearing that you are getting some REAL FOOD!

    God bless you and keep you in His palm. prayer is a powerful thing and you are in our prayers always!

    blessings to all...deb:)

    ReplyDelete