Friday, April 3, 2009


Today I felt a little tired, so I took a nap and felt a lot better when I woke up.I'm not having to many of the symptoms except for the tiredness. I did have a slight metal taste in my mouth after the chemo yesterday but, nothing today.

Today I had visitors from Avery Dennison . Bill Goldsmith who is the president of my plant and Joe Hurley who is a lead operator on coater 8. I really appreciate the time they took to come over and see how I am doing. It was a very nice visit and can't say enough how much It means to me to see and hear from the people from Avery. I hope too hear from more of you., and I hope everyone is checking the blog if you feel uncomfortable calling. Everyone at Avery Is like a big family looking out for there own. I was told by a few employees that about 10 years ago that when Mr. Goldsmith came to Avery it was in bad shape and on the verge of closure. In fact he was there to close the plant from what I understand. He seen some potential in the plant and made a complete turn around and saved the plant. In a few short years that plant became division of the year , and once again a few years ago I believe in my second year at Avery. He is a well respected man there and deservedly so. Avery is world wide and has over two hundred plants.Thank you again Bill for coming to see me it meant a lot, oh and you to Joe.

I want to tell everyone how I got my job at Avery. I worked at a dairy products plant in Chicago that closed on Oct.31 ( Halloween) of 2003 I was there two and half months shy of 11 years. I won't go into detail why they closed. I didn't care that the plant closed cause it was a long ride in and coming home, It was also located in the West side of Chicago which is one of the rougher areas .Well anyway when I got laid off I didn't mind like I said. I was going on the computer and sending out resumes and going through the news paper everyday with no calls. Christmas came and all I did was make 10 to 12 different of cookies plus fudge. I was in my glory and must of gained about 20 pounds during the month of December. I kept on looking for jobs I saw a add for Avery and took in my application ( sent one in actually twice)than in February on my birthday my mother in law Mary gave me a St Joseph statue and a novena to say.( St. Joseph is the patron saint of fathers and workers) I was saying his novena everyday. She told me towards the end of Feb. that I will get a job in March , because his feast day was in March. So on Monday the 1St of March I was called for an interview. I was interviewed by a man named Jeff McKenzie. He was a man of large stature. He told me a lot of things about Avery most of which I knew because I researched it before my interview. Some of the things he was telling me I thought that perhaps he was trying to scare me. I laugh at fear unless that fear comes from God. Then on Thursday March 4th I got a call from Karen in HR at the time, that they needed my expertise. She asked if I was interested in bailing there warehouse out because it was in shambles. I said of course I would be delighted. They sent me my info with a drug test info that I got that Friday and took on Saturday. I started on that Monday the 8th. That was the beginning of my new journey with Avery. At first few weeks I would go home with stomach aches because of all things that I had to learn. I actually told my wife Sally that I don't know if I will be able to do it. I finally got accustom to it and flourished and became the savior they sought. I needed a change so I later bid on a floater operator job ( I will be trained on three different machines to cover vac. and call offs.) I got the job and I stayed there for a while. A another year or so goes by and I was asked if I would be interested in being a lead operator On the Metallizer machine. I thought about it for a while and took the job. So in less than 5 years I moved up pretty good and I love what I am doing and hope to continue for a long long time. Just like most major companies Avery is going through a tough time but, I feel confident that we will be fine cause we have Bill Goldsmith. WINK WINK

Thanks to everyone who checks on the blog and were the heck are the Cub Fans at? Don't worry I still love you all anyway. God Bless you all.


  1. "Jeff McKenzie. He was a man of large stature."

    And no one would tell you that more than Jeff.


    "She asked if I was interested in bailing there warehouse out because it was in shambles." that how it went down?

    Oh, and Bill, I have to admit, I was VERY surprised to see the CUBS behind in the poll.

    When is the Culver's benefit going to happen? If eating a Culver's hamburger is going to help you out, then I'm surely going to have to eat 4 or 5 of them...


  2. Is the Harris Bank account going to remain open to donations for a while? What do we tell them if we walk in to donate? And maybe you should post that on the blog. Just a thought.

  3. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


  4. you might not believe this but it's the truth. a young girl (daughter of a grade school friend of mine) had cancer as she began her freshman year of highschool (she was cancer free 8 years this past month) i got a prayer card from joe just shortly after she had been diagnosed and i began saying the prayer every morning when i woke up, i started saying it again when i heard of your diagnosis. it's a prayer to st joseph card. blessings, deb

  5. Hey Bill, Don't worry the Cubs fan are still here. We've got your back. This is the year.

    Hey I'm with Dan on the Culver's deal. I am waiting to hear when that is going to happen. I will make an announcement at church and let everyone know about it. Who knows maybe even take a church field trip.